Monday, May 19, 2008

Week of May 26, 2008

Spanish

One of my schools is primarily Hispanic. We have 95% Hispanic with English as a second language, and 92% free breakfast and lunch. This has been our last year as a "Reading First" school. Administration at our site is moving us in a "Bilingual" school direction. There have been no formal announcements, however, I am able to read the "unspoken" sign posts. Those who are proactive will not be caught, when the shift happens.

I personally have decided to work even harder on my Spanish. I have a subscription to Rosetta Stone, which has been a life saver. The program is everything they say it is. I am surprised that I am able to manipulate the vocabulary as quickly as I'm able. I am planning on an hour a day throughout the summer, and to continue through the next year.

My plan is not to advertise my learning a second language. It is simply to do it. This new skill should enrich my interaction with my students and their families, and help me gain additional understanding of their individual needs.

No comments: