Monday, April 21, 2008

Week 8: #18 & #19

#18 Online productivity tools:
Benefits:
1. Not having to worry about software programs from one computer to another.
2. Collaboration - multiple users can collaborate and edit the same file.
3. Can use the same file and convert documents to multiple file types; html, pdf.
4. Can use to author and publish to my own blog.

Word Processors:

Zoho Writer
http://writer.zoho.com/jsp/home.jsp?serviceurl=%2Findex.do

1. I opened a free account
Documents are available online from any computer. You can have your docs off line also.
Formatting Options:
Bold, italicize, underline, set back ground color & color your words, link to a web page, set margins, use cool smileys and do much more. Use the same keyboard shortcuts as with any other word processing application for accessing these functions.

No Searching Within Menus:
Most functions are available at a click, thanks to the friendly toolbar. And for the super user in you, a few extra features are accessible with just an extra click.

Spell Check:
What's a word processor without a spell checker? Zoho Writer's does all the dirty spell checking work for you so that you needn't worry about whether it's receive or recieve.

Insert Pictures
Tags and Folders
Post to your blog
Can add comments for review or collaboration
Add Bullets
Insert Tables
Share Documents - Just read and/or write
View, or edit last 25 documents off line. Changes made offline will remain, with online version is switched on.
Integration with other zoho applications.

I was so surprised to see that this is a complete system with email, planner, meetings, wiki, chat, notebook, show, sheet... What fun this is going to be.

2. I created a test document, just to see how it works. I also sent my document as an email to our library email at Mt. Diablo Unified on 4/25/08.

WOW!

3. I looked at the Welcome to Zoho Writer documet created by Helene Blowers and edited by Jean Herriges. I posted a reply. I am anxious to try this online word processor. I shared it with my colleagues yesterday at our elementary school librarians' meeting.
Google Docs
https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=writely&passive=true&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2F&ltmpl=WR_tmp_2_lfty&nui=1

#19 LibraryThing

See week #6

Also, catalogued and put widgets in my library at LibraryThing. I think this will be very helpful, as far as putting all the books I personally own online. There are many times I go to the book store and buy a book that sounds interesting, only to get home and realize I already own the the book, and I've already read it.

No comments: