Monday, April 21, 2008

Week 9: #20, #21, #22, #23

Podcasts, Video & downloadable Audio


#20 YouTube


I opened an account. I looked at some swim technique videos. I am a US Masters Swimmer, so I am always interested in anything on the topic. What I found interesting was the mini lessons available on YouTube. Even though several of them were in Chinese, I still found them informative, because swimming competitively stays the same regardless of language barriers.


I opened an account with TeacherTube too. I looked at some of the videos for classrooms. Most of them seemed to be for secondary schools. I need more time to discover and reflect. Since everything seems to be blocked by our districts filters, I find it difficult to envision the possibilities.

#21 Podcasts

Podcasts are not just for computers now or ipods. All you need is an PC. I have listened to podcasts through the TeacherLibrarian Ning with Joyce Velenzia.

#22 eBooks and Audio ebooks
http://www.worldebookfair.com/
This is a website that offers ebook downloads. There is a small fee of $8.95 per year. I personally am a member of Mobipocket. I have a virtual library of books I have purchased. I am able to download them as many times as I wish. I have an ebook reader on my computer and I also have mobipocket on my palm. This allows me to download books onto my palm and read them "on the run." At first I was skeptical, but now I prefer the electronic version as apposed to the paper version. I am able to bookmark, make notes, look up words, draw pictures or sketches, all within the framework of my handheld device. I have read all of Dan Brown's books, some of James Patterson's books and many others. I am currently reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Many of the books that are out of copyright are available in ebook form. What a wonderful way to experience books. My favorite feature is the automatic scroll. I set the scroll speed, and go. I never have to turn a page again.
Ebooks are not practical at this time for my library, because most of our students do not have access to computers other then in our school library.

Audio Books are great for traveling and for students with learning disabilities. I have experienced many audio books in my car. I have an hour commute to school each day. What a fun way to pass the time hearing a story read by one of my favorite authors or a hired actor. The only problem is when you are listening with another family member, and they don't want you to listen unless they are with you to hear too. That is how good these books are. Lots of fun!!


#23 Summarize your thoughts about this program

I found this program to be very helpful with understanding and implementing many of the new technologies available for personal and library use. There are two main challenges I see facing us now.

The first is filtering. Our biggest challenge, as I see it is to get a buy in from our districts TIS departments. There are too many web sites that are blocked for various reasons. Our district has a third party, who filters content, without knowledge of the educational possibilities the filtered websites could offer our students and teachers. With technology changing so quickly our students need to have the opportunity to explore, experience, and practice with the different tools available, so they can produce authentic work and become productive contributors in the business world. Employers are looking for people with experience in manipulating electronic technologies, so they can compete with their competition. Until we, as librarians, have more control over web content, I see our students and teachers the ones to suffer.

Our second challenge, is educating ourselves in the use of the Internet, the web, the deep web and their tools. This program gave me the opportunity to explore many of these new tools, and implement them in an authentic way. I have already given an in service to our districts librarians
in the use of some of these tools and websites. The librarians have agreed to start with the "23 Things" and work to gather exploring and experiencing Library 2.0. This next year should prove to be a step forward for our librarians, as they begin to take center stage, becoming the technology leaders of their schools. What an exciting time to be a librarian.
Thank you

2 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Congratulations! You have successfully completed School Library Learning 2.0. You are now an "official" member of the CSLA 2.0 Team -- welcome! Your blog has been moved to the "Congratulations! 2.0 Team" list.

Your 2.0 discovery learning journey has just begun. You'll learn tons more, especially as you cheer along your fellow librarians and friends with SLL2.0 and or CL2.0

Best wishes.
- Jackie Siminitus
CSLA 2.0 Team project manager

librarymum said...

You've done a great job exploring all of these new tools and I have enjoyed reading your posts. Congratulations on finishing the course and I look forward to "reading you here" in the future.

I want to add that I totally agree with your comments about the filtering and blocking of sites that could be so useful at school. I hope this is a dialog that the school librarians will continue to have and come up with some good solutions.